I’ve been trying to get Windows XP to serve files over the local network through FTP. Though it may seem obvious (and Windows XP may be a dying OS), I’ll stablish my steps here for further reference:
- Go to Add / Remove programs
- Add / Remove windows components (yes, you’ll need the Windows XP CD)
- With IIS selected, go to Details
- Check the FTP Server box (it will ask for the CD now)
- Go to IIS > Default FTP Site and configure the accounts and all
- Go to Windows Firewall > Exceptions and enable port 21 (TCP)
- Go to Windows Firewall > Advanced (and here’s the caveat that took me some time to figure out): select the connection you’d like to use for the FTP sharing, and then Configuration.
- Check the FTP Server box.
- And that’s it.
Without that 7th step it would not work.